PDA

View Full Version : going back to my roots

umgum
15th October 2002, 06:32 PM
i know it was done by fpi project and odyessy but is there a version by fpi without the womans voice on it it had a mans instead or was my m8 completley out of his tree that night:D

oldskooldazed (al)
15th October 2002, 06:36 PM
YEAH DEFO A VERSION I AVE MP3 LOL BUT FUCKIN LOADS LOL - ITS CLASSIC HACIENDA TUNE FROM 89 90 - ILL GET BACK 2 YA

NICE ONE M8 WELCOME TO OSA

AL

:D :D :D :D

pacman
15th October 2002, 06:50 PM
Yep welcome mate.

Aint it just FPI Project - Rich In Paradise???? I aint sure whether there is a particular mix but I thought the standard Rich in Paradise was vocal-less and the one with the bird singin 'Zippin' up ma boots' etc etc is 'Going back to my roots'.

umgum
15th October 2002, 06:51 PM
it hasnt got the rich in paradise bit in it

pacman
15th October 2002, 06:54 PM
I might be wrong but I think theres a mix which doesnt have the bloke saying that.

The prob is theres shed loads of tunes using the instrumental.

Was there no lyrics whatsoever (male or female) in it mate?

umgum
15th October 2002, 06:55 PM
apparently the singing was done by a bloke

pacman
15th October 2002, 06:56 PM
Reet, am chatting shit cos Ive jut had a look at Rich in paradise and its got the woman singing.

Ah feck it, leave it to Al he'll sort ya out - It aint a tune i know much about mix wise.

Sorry :$

umgum
15th October 2002, 06:58 PM
cheers

butty
15th October 2002, 07:04 PM
lol i got the vinyl mate but its at courtneys will be friday latest i go n check it out so can tell u then if no one beats me 2 it - i know the 1 on my mix (first track) is called going back to my roots (vocal version)

sweet sensation
15th October 2002, 07:22 PM
The version I got is

F. P. I. Project - Rich in Paradise "Going Back To My Roots" on ZYX records with a bizzare track on the B side called Max-Him - Lady Fantasy !!! (its poo btw !)

Mine has the guy saying Rich in Paradie at the start and then a bit further on in the record he says it again. There is no woman singing on mine at all. The cover also says Original Italo Classic and Original Hit Version and its black with a red stilleto on it (??) Lol !!

Hope this helps :D

Sweet xx

sirius
15th October 2002, 07:31 PM
I was just reading this and thought what a piece of piss, but infact Im a bit puzzled too.

I could have sworn I had a version with a bloke singing and one with Sharon dee Clarke on vocals, but I cant find one...Really strange that, i could have sworn that I usually play the bloke version and get the female out on special occasions (!).:confused: :confused:

Im not going mad, there is a bloke version isnt there?(excluding the 94 remix)

Sirius.

pacman
15th October 2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by sirius
I was just reading this and thought what a piece of piss, but infact Im a bit puzzled too.

I could have sworn I had a version with a bloke singing and one with Sharon dee Clarke on vocals, but I cant find one...Really strange that, i could have sworn that I usually play the bloke version and get the female out on special occasions (!).:confused: :confused:

Im not going mad, there is a bloke version isnt there?(excluding the 94 remix)

Sirius.

Im pretty sure there is mate 99.9% but I aint heard it for a long, long, long time.

Biskit
15th October 2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by umgum
is there a version by fpi without the womans voice on it it had a mans instead or was my m8 completley out of his tree that night:D

The tune I think your on about here, is nearly the same as the 'FPI Project' release, similar piano, slower tempo though, its...

RICHIE HAVENS - GOING BACK TO MY ROOTS

This is where the piano originally comes from, Im 99% certain this is the tune you are on about!

wildpitch
15th October 2002, 07:50 PM
I may be way off the mark here. But I've far too many versions of this record so here you go. :D

Lamont Dozier wrote the thing, and did the original, and sounds like a dame. Odyssey did the one that your mum and dad know. Richie Havens did probably the most sought after version, this is the one FPI nicked the piano from, and has male vocals. FPI did the one with and without Sharon Dee Clarke.

wildpitch
15th October 2002, 07:52 PM
Damn, that's happened to me twice today, someone replied whilst I was typing. I've got a rip of Richie Havens sat on my hard disc if you want to hear it!

whatyadoinsucka
15th October 2002, 07:53 PM
RICHIE HAVENS - GOING BACK TO MY ROOTS

thats the original disco tune
fpi robbed

mm..........

if you play it at normal speed male vocal

if you play it at oldskool bowlers speed (ie +6
it sounds like a chipmunk sorry a woman

black cover version remixes is easily the best version

doolz
15th October 2002, 07:53 PM
could be thinking of
richie havens - goin back to my roots :)

doolz
15th October 2002, 07:54 PM
fukkin el both posts logged at same time lol

Biskit
15th October 2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by wildpitch
Damn, that's happened to me twice today, someone replied whilst I was typing. I've got a rip of Richie Havens sat on my hard disc if you want to hear it!

Lol - dont you just hate it when that happens!

Im certain its 'Richie Havens'

wildpitch
15th October 2002, 08:04 PM
And with all that effort I put in to that message as wellll......;)

The Lamont Dozier one is probably the coolest of the lot, although it's a close one between that and Richie Havens.

Deffo think Richie boy done the one the threads about.

Jonno
15th October 2002, 08:28 PM
It's gotta be the Richie Havens version you're after. He pretty much made the track famous. He played at Glastonbury this year on the Jazz Stage. He also came on with Groove Amanda near the end of their set on the Other Stage and they played Going Back to My Roots as the last tune. It was spot on.
Btw his version was also on an old bootleg along with the instrumental of Q-Words - That's Choice.

wildpitch
15th October 2002, 09:45 PM
Trivia alert. Richie Havens opened Woodstock too. ;)

ste huxley
16th October 2002, 11:10 AM
>>Im not going mad, there is a bloke version isnt there?(excluding the 94 remix)

Maybe its the 94 Nick Hussey remix like Sirius said

Thats got a bloke singing in it, called Barry, as it happens lol

nathan
16th October 2002, 11:37 AM
who would've thought a tune from 1969 would still sound so rocking. If you haven't got this .... GET IT!

wildpitch
16th October 2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by nathan
who would've thought a tune from 1969 would still sound so rocking. If you haven't got this .... GET IT!

1969???? :confused:

Jonno
16th October 2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by wildpitch
Trivia alert. Richie Havens opened Woodstock too. ;) What a top bit of Triv.

nathan
16th October 2002, 11:47 AM
richie havens:- going back to my roots is from 1969

Jonno
16th October 2002, 11:59 AM
It's from his 1981 album Connections.

wildpitch
16th October 2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Jonno
It's from his 1981 album Connections.

Beat me to it. Lamont Dozier didn't write it till the mid seventies. I know cause I've got his version as well.;)

nathan
16th October 2002, 05:20 PM
i stand corrected. didn't realise he was still recording then. That's quite a long career. Nice one guys

Konspiracy
16th October 2002, 05:27 PM
When was the last time anyone saw this 12" 4 sale, Ive
been after it for bloody ages!!!:S

wildpitch
16th October 2002, 06:52 PM
1990! I had two copies, and good man that I am chose to give my spare to a mate.

Mike
17th October 2002, 09:46 AM
Richie Havens - Going Back To My Roots is available on a compilation called All Back To Mine which features tracks from the TV / radio series of the same name. The other tracks on the comp are all fantastic as well which is a bonus.

I've got this on CD but I believe it was available on vinyl as well, could be a cheaper option than getting the original 12 and much easier to find as well

Konspiracy
17th October 2002, 12:02 PM
Cheers Mike,

The album will do for the time being until I get a hold of it on 12, what other tracks are on the album?

BTW, has anyone heard the new remixes by Groove Armada yet? Ive seen the 12 about, they could have put the original on!!!

Mike
17th October 2002, 01:26 PM
It's mostly 70s stuff to be honest, quite a range of interesting stuff on there. I'll burn you a copy and post it along with that 12" if you want!!!

wildpitch
17th October 2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Konspiracy
Cheers Mike,

The album will do for the time being until I get a hold of it on 12, what other tracks are on the album?

BTW, has anyone heard the new remixes by Groove Armada yet? Ive seen the 12 about, they could have put the original on!!!

Quality tracklisting, especially if Demis Roussos floats your boat! Gwen Mcrae, Barry White, Patti Austin, Lee Dorsey, David Axelrod and Sly Stone all make an appearance can't remember who else.

Are you saying GA have remixed Richie Havens?

nathan
17th October 2002, 02:56 PM
great quality richie havens and

can't forget the greatest soul tune ever (*along with lots of others :)
patti jo:- make me believe in you

Konspiracy
17th October 2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Mike
It's mostly 70s stuff to be honest, quite a range of interesting stuff on there. I'll burn you a copy and post it along with that 12" if you want!!!

Nice1 Mike, a copy would be tops, 70s - strutt around mi flat with 89 bellbottom flares time,

Wildpitch m8, was in the local HMV last week and they had a couple of copies, just 2 GA mixes, no original, was going to have a listen but the decks were bust