Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: tune id for a wicked 1991 track, colin dale - KILLERHERTZ *SOLVED*

Quote Originally Posted by laith179 View Post
    you could write a book on this tune.. good luck fellow tune heads
    Book wouldn't have a title though!

REMOVED POST

nothing shocking - contained info, thats gone now
    Last edited by BUNKERHEADZ; 18th March 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Old Skool Anthemz

*** INTO THE SONIK UNDERGROUND ***

I think I have might found the Killerhertz, needs just one email to get a confirmation...fingers crossed boys

Old Skool Anthemz

I have e mailed him Bunks!!

wow good luck great team work it shows the true sprit of such a good site with liked minded people respect....

Yep. I got the email. I made that tune. Takes me back ;-)

Ha!

just got yer replies m8, thx for getting back that fast

I think THE main thing we wanna know is . . .

is it ur track that is added here in the first post?

is it an alternative or other mix version of Killerhertz - Love Byte (Strontium Mix) as it 'samples' the longest running Old Skool unknown in the internet history

Make the oldtimers massive a happy one m8!

Did ya more tracks then the ones that are on Discogs?

and the photo of that car I saw on yer site..fekkin' wikked that one

rest me one more thing to say - THX for making me / us dance in the past, KILLER(hertz) toonz for sure

Old Skool Anthemz

Yes. The tune in the first post was made by me. The later version was released on the Killerhertz Love Byte EP is what it evolved into, though on that EP, I think Distant Dream is the stronger track (though the best mix of DD never made it to vinyl at all)

I'll post in a minute the details of the first track - though you're not going to like it

OK,

So there I am in 1991 (I think!) and Kiss Fm has not been on air for long (legally). It had launched in London and I could just about get reception here in Kent with a good aerial. I was listening to Colin Dale and Colin Favor a lot, so thats where my infleunces came from. I couldn't really play any instruments, but I could string together the tunes I had in my head with a sequencer and some patience

My first music gear was an Akai S950 sampler, a Yamaha SY-22 synth, a TR909 drum machine (yes a real one) a cheap mixer and reverb, and this was all running off an Alesis MMT8 hardware sequencer. I only had a Commodore Amiga at the time and hadn't bought Music-x then. I was never an Atari user.

Its been fun reading the posts this evening. Seems the tune in question is a source of much debate and misery and there is a lot of mention of Colin Dale. Well its been the best part of 20 years, but I have it my memory that it was Colin Favor that played this tune. He used to do a spot encouraging people to send their tunes it - it was called Demo Dat Pressure I think. I also have this show on tape somewhere in a box but nowhere handy so can't confirm.

I did two tunes at this time with my old Alesis sequencer and sent them in to the Colin Favor(?) show. The first tune was called Madness (it was rubbish) but he played it one week. The second tune, and I think I did call it Love Byte even on the demo, was played a week later - and that is what the tune uploaded in the first post is - my original tune from the Demo Dat Pressure slot on Colin Favor's show.

That was good enough for me - an endorsement from Colin . I borrowed some cash to press 1000 records - but not either of these tunes made it. I released a tune on my own label Evasion records called The Enforcer, which sold OK. I was working at a printers back then, so it even had a decent printed cover.

Colin Favor played both sides of this one week after the other, and gave away 5 copies on air as I had sent them in for a competition giveaway.

Now the oringal Love Byte was still sitting there untouched. I had the tune, the riffs and the samples. However, the crowd I was mixing with at the time, said it sounded *too synthy* as it had the chords playing quite a lot from the SY22 keyboard. It wasn't very current as the trend was swinging to very sample based and breakbeaty tunes. The next release of mine went out on FX records, which was based at the studio I was using to mix. The track was Called NRG and for that release I was called Crossfade. One of the riffs in that used the sample sound from Love Byte - I think the original sample came from a track by Shades of Rythm called Excorcist. So I guess after that I felt I couldn't use that sample again. You'll find that on Youtube (search for Crossfade NRG and the B-Side was Crossfade Here We Go Again)

The guts, melodies and sequences from the original Love Byte were than ported over from the Alesis sequencer to my Amiga, now running Music-X and the tune evolved into several mixes, 2 of which went out on the Distant Dream EP.

Both Love Byte and Distant Dream tracks were released not as I originally had them when I went into the studio, they were made a bit more piano-ish and developed whilst being recorded - as I was not releasing this on my own label I had to trust the direction of who was footing the bill for the pressings!

Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Lots of stuff happened after that thats irrelevant, but thats how Love Byte came to be as released on vinyl.

But what about the original most-hunted for mix?

Well I really hate to dissapoint. The mix that was played on the radio show was never released on vinyl. Bigger fool me, as just listening to it tonight has made me ask why not! At the time it just didn't quite fit I guess.

Even worse than that, it was never even put down on DAT. I didn't have one then. Thats right, my tracks were sent in to Kiss Fm and played from a cassette. A ruddy cassette tape and I was on air. Couldn't believe it.

The whole thing was on a hardware sequencer that couldn't save anything. So no files from that. The Akai S950 sampler disks have long been corrupt. The gear has long been sold.

No Cassettes. No Vinyl. No DAT. Sorry guys - if I had a DAT master tape of it I'd get it MP3'd and you could do what you wanted with it.

Probably the only surviving copies are what people taped off of the radio station back in the day, and that sounded a bit ropy then with cassette compression, and then even more radio FM compression when it was transmitted.

Sorry to dissapoint, but I hope it puts a few things to rest and ends some peoples fruitless searches.

If anyone wants to re-record it sometime let me know and I'll try to help

The acid sample is of course from Joey Beltram, the main Breakbeat is of course from the Stone Roses Fools Gold, the high pitch riff is from Shades of Rythm Excorcist, the pads are from a Yamaha SY22, no idea where the siren sample is from, and the bassline is just killing me. I can't think of anthing I had at the time that would have sounded like that. It could have only come from the Akai sampler (so could be anything) or the Yamaha SY22.

Has anyone got a full length decent bitrate MP3 of the original broadcast - I'd love to hear it all again!

Regards

Sonic - I never got an email from yourself, only Bunks - but I hope my post has cleared up all you wanted to know about it.

Eric = Sonikunderground = BUNKERHEADZ

and kin hell, worra story!

pity it was never pressed or saved on a DAT or floppy, all we can say about that is that ya made history here with the most sought after unknown tune there ever was.
    Let's see if we can sort ya out with that broadcast, I have a feeling someone from my forum does have it

OLD SKOOL LOVERS '80 - '93 / Colin Faver & Colin Dale - KISS 100 FM

THX

Old Skool Anthemz

Well Bunkz, you promised you'd solve it one day and you have. Excellent work and it was great to read the story of the track. Nice one Killerhertz - should have stuck to your guns, you were just too ahead of your time!

Gutted no-one seems to have the whole tune. Just have to re-record it for us...

Excellent story killerhertz. Thanks for taking the time to tell it!
    iamdek

gutted
    U know why it's a brilliant manipulation of negative space

Jeeeeeeeeeeez, Ace story Killerhertz Respect!!! - Proper ID put to bed. Always thought this would be taken to the grave lol.

Just been on a mission to rip my old Maxell tape so here is probably the best rip sop far (4.30 mins).

Killerhertz - Colin Dale Unknown ID.mp3

If anyone feels like tweaking it then please do. :-)

Thread Information