Thread: 97/98 Trance - "End of the Earth is Upon Us" - with audio sample

Default 97/98 Trance - "End of the Earth is Upon Us" - with audio sample

Has the sample
    "The end of the earth is upon us"

Does anyone reconise this riff?

http://www.mindsurf.eu/trackids/tranceriff.mp3

Its one i exported from Cubase because I cant find the tape with the original track on.
    I remember it having a similar low pass filter sweep like that and tried to use a sound like the original, the riff was the main breakdown of the track.

Pretty sure its from 1998

Someone must know it?

thanks

well... i dont know the track from 98, but original sample is from: UNDERGROUND SOUND OF LISBON - SO GET UP

"the end of the earth is upon us... prety soon it'll all turn to dust.... so get up, forget the past, go outside and have a blast"

that track is has been sampled over and over, also in: public domain - so get up, which is hardcore gabber track, can be found on thunderdome series...

"SO GET UP" is NOT originally by Underground Sound Of Lisbon (that was a remix)

The words...'The end of the earth is upon us. Pretty soon it'll all turn to dust..' were written in 1992 by a Greek-Californian hip hop artist and poet named Ithaka (or Ithaka Darin Pappas), who's song Escape From The City Of Angels" appeared in Antoine Fuqua's film The Replacement Killers...with the big Chinese movie star Chow Yun Fat. Ithaka has released many full albums, hip hop and spoken word poems, some have won awards: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58Vh4uvhPs

The original song you are referring to is called "SO GET UP". Apparently it was first written (and recited as an acapella) by Ithaka Darin Pappas for a radio station in Portugal on December 13th 1992.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Get_Up
    www.quora.com/Who-does-the-song-So-Get-Up

In February of '93, Ithaka made a downtempo version in Manchester, England for his first album project "So Get Up & The Lost Acapellas", many poems with some elektro music too. It was released by Sweatlodge Records.

In late 1993, a group in Portugal (where Ithaka had lived a number of years) heard him on the radio and asked to do a remix of the "so Get up" song as an experiment on the B-side of a promo vinyl they were making to promote themselves as rave djs.

I am not sure if they had Ithaka re-record the vocal or not, but it sounds exactly like the version made in Manchester about nine months before that version, so I think they just used the one made in England. www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW24QOQDPFY

The remix song version by Underground Sound Of Lisbon (the Portuguese house dj duo) somehow became a big hit in Portugal and later even had distribution in the UK and the US of America. It was promoted as a totally Portuguese song and it sold millions of copies.

Let us please examine this.
    If a Japanese vocalist came to Seoul and a Korean dj made a new popular remix, we would NOT call it a Korean song. We would celebrate the Korean dj's achievement of course, but we would consider the song an' international collaboration'.

How is the song by an American-greek artist 미국 considered Portuguese? It is very misleading. 이건 완전히 말도 안돼

The fact of the matter is, that 1994 remix of the song, So Get Up, is what the members of the Portuguese duo USL are most known for in their entire careers, even thirty years later....specifically, the words and vocals of So Get Up (which were created by someone not even from Portugal).

The author and vocalist of these powerful words has rarely (if ever) been credited. It is weird, disturbing and disrespectful.

Judging from their online bios, Dj Vibe & Rui da Silva (Underground Sound Of Lisbon) proudly stood up and took 100% of the credit of a single remix of a song that they were only partially responsible for, a song that has many hundreds or thousands of remixes.

Dj Vibe on Red Bull TV said he made the song after being 'inspired by visiting a nightclub in New York'. Interesting that he was inspired to make a song that already existed before he had ever gone to New York (
    바보 포르투갈어)

The fact that an American record company (Tribal Records, backed by Stuart Copeland and EMI Records) released a record under such false claims just shows that the Anglo-music world only pretends to be interested in foreign culture. Portugal's biggest musical export in history (to America and England) was written and 'sung' by someone from Los Angeles...좋은 농담 이었어.

What a weird world we are living in. Perhaps we are we to consider DJ Vibe & Rui da Silva the Portuguese Milli Vanilli?

Since the time of it's creation (probably due to uncredited a capellas released by the Portuguese and the Americans)...Ithaka's So Get Up..
    and portions of the So Get Up vocal/lyric have been released by literally hundreds of artists. I read it was even the most remixed acapella in the world of music.

There are many examples, but why would the music world ever consider that song Portuguese.

Dimas & Martinez (aka Committee) released Trance Line [same 1992 Ithaka vocal & lyrics], it became a #3 song on Spain's '95 Billboard Charts...
    should the song be considered Spanish?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOja5huKpk0

Atlantis ITA (Italy) released "I'll See You In The Next Life" [same 1992 Ithaka vocal & lyrics], it appeared in the movie "Sorted".....
    should the song be considered Italian?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjENN88n5Ko

Stretch N Vern (and Fatboy Silm!) Released a #17 hit version called Get Up! Go Insane! [same 1992 Ithaka d. pappas vocal & lyrics]...
    is the song to be considered British?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4btsp0tl0

Armin Van Buuren has released a mix of the song on ASOT [same 1992 Ithaka Darin Pappas vocal & lyrics] , is the song now DUTCH?!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfTvpWM08vE

Cosmic Gate released a version of So Get Up in 2003 [same 1992 Ithaka vocal & lyrics]...
    should the song then be considered German?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=IntrQqcTm-Q

DJ Krsyst-Off (aka DJ Zorneus) have released many different mixes of Go Insane [once again, same 1992 Ithaka vocal & lyrics!]..
    should the song be considered French?!?!?!?!?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0M6kLhfZQc

As I am writing this and I looking up these videos, I realize the many of these illegal versions are very VERY good.

Are they actually good instrumentals?

Or does Ithaka's "So Get Up" vocal and lyrical message transform anything they touch into little masterpieces?

I am not sure Mr. Ithaka is alive or not...or if he was ever even aware of how many listeners he has touched with these words.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehP7Ntuj6k

My general message is "So Get Up" is very special and timeless...
    and also that:
    small countries try hard too hard for recognition.
    And American entertainment world is insincere of its interest in global music art and movies.

I hope this makes sense.

Thread Information