Thread: My first Trance Track (Nineties Style)

Default My first Trance Track (Nineties Style)

Hi Folks,

As you all know, i'm always an oldskool listening freak, and that will never change.

A long time ago (bout 30 years) I was also producing (never released anything, because I was too insecure and modest). Anyway, I recently took up this hobby again after 30 years.

I have invested in some new equipment. And initially I did some Cinematic Epic sound. But this week I produced my first Trance Track!

I'm curious what you think about it. And I have no problem with any criticism, but also not with any compliments.

Hope you like it! Greets, Age

professional sounding track, you defo know what you're doing, second half sounds a bit like age of love (which isn't a bad thing)

I used to have a setup in late 90s but it was real expensive back then when it was all hardware based, I ended up in debt endlessly adding more gear to the set up, so it ended up being a 2 year stint of making music & then I sold everything.

out of interest is your new set up hardware or software? and does it still cost 1000s
    Last edited by brady; 4th May 2024 at 06:53 PM.
    most wanted IDs - https://sbradyman.angelfire.com/IDclips.htm
    over 250 solved

Hi Brady, first of all thanks for your response and your compliment. Appreciated!

It's true the 2nd half sounds a bit like Age Of Love or some relatives like Orange Theme etc. But that is a conscious choice. I've tried to get that feeling back, and I think I've become pretty close.

It is recognizable what you said. In the past it could be a very expensive activity. I also got into debt and eventually got rid of everything. So it ended up for me too.

Anyway it tickled me for years to get back to make music. A few months ago I made the decision. I walked into a 2nd hand shop and there it was. A Yamaha Motif ES (hardware synth) and i bought it for a very reasonable price, A week later i bought an FR audio interface and a pair of KRK Studio Monitors.

I'm using Cakewalk Bandlab as DAW with different vst's (Roland, Korg, Native instruments etc) and recently i bought a 2nd hand Roland JP-8000 (hardware synth)

So i'm using hardware and software vst's together. The total cost is about 1800 euros.

Edit. There is something wrong with aligning text. I've tried my desktop and also on my phone. (SOLVED)
    Last edited by ageofhouse.; 4th May 2024 at 09:21 PM.

I did a correction Brady, I have added up the amounts again. Including audio cables and additional things was the total cost about 1800 euros

thanks for the detailed reply, im goggling the items you listed to get a better idea of your setup.

Cakewalk Bandlab looks great & there's loads of tutorial videos on youtube, everything seems a lot easier now & a huge upgrade from the old Cubase on Atari I used to use lol

am I reading it right, Bandlab is a free program?

I can hear from your tracks you have ability with a keyboard, my keyboard skills are limited so my old setup revolved around an Akai sampler & using my records for samples

I guess we all approach it differently depending on ability etc.

example -
    Last edited by brady; 4th May 2024 at 07:52 PM.
    over 250 solved

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Cakewalk Bandlab looks great & there's loads of tutorial videos on youtube, everything seems a lot easier now & a huge upgrade from the old Cubase on Atari I used to use lol

am I reading it right, Bandlab is a free program?
    The principle is still the same as the earlier periods, but it has become more accessible now. In the past you had to find the information from people who also producing. Or you had to figure out by yourself how to use Cubase for example. Now there are indeed plenty of tutorials on channels as YT. And the VSTs has also made it a cheaper way to producing.

But the most important thing is ultimately the person behind the keys and the knobs.

And yes! Cakewalk by Bandlab is totally free.

Nice track Brady. Compliments! Especially your mastering is really good, which is often lacking for me. I need to get a better handle on that.
    Last edited by ageofhouse.; 4th May 2024 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ageofhouse. View Post
    Nice track Brady. Compliments! Especially your mastering is really good, which is often lacking for me. I need to get a better handle on that.
    a tip I used to do, mix records into your track so you can hear it in context next to released records, helps to finalize the levels
    over 250 solved

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    a tip I used to do, mix records into your track so you can hear it in context next to released records, helps to finalize the levels
    Thanks for your advice. I will try this

Nice one guys, always nice to hear what others do

Old Skool Anthemz

*** INTO THE SONIK UNDERGROUND ***

My tuppence for this thread:

Bunkerheadz - Swunk

https://voca.ro/12WNgtC5XwZr

Old Skool Anthemz

that's a great track Eric, early 90s influence going on big style

are the drums 909? they sit nicely in the mix.

there's a few producers on facebook that make oldskool influenced music, but it's always breakbeat which isnt my thing. theres defo a gap in the market for non-breakbeat oldskool producers.
    over 250 solved

Cheers m8

Drums are TR 808 / CR 78 / Korg KR 55 btw

Yeah, most peeps produce UK Hardcore / Jungle, I tend more to the Housey side of tings, though I make all sorts, always say from 0 to 200 BPM hahaha

Old Skool Anthemz

Quote Originally Posted by BUNKERHEADZ View Post
    I make all sorts, always say from 0 to 200 BPM hahaha
    that's a broad spectrum
    over 250 solved

Nice one Eric, I like the atmospheric pads/clean drums. In 1990 it would have been released on warp

I'm also curious about your 0 bpm productions

Thread Information