Thread: 92/93 mystery challenge

Default 92/93 mystery challenge

Hi all. Been IDing tracks in the techno section here for nearly 15 years and I don't know why I didn't post this request here sooner, but it's probably because I have so little information to go on.

Trying to ID a tune that I heard only twice, nearly 30 years ago.

I don't have a clip so I'm going to have to describe it, and you're gonna laugh cos it's not very specific, but I trust there's a ton of heads here with hopefully better memories of the early 90s than me

First time I heard it was late at night on Touchdown FM

Second time I heard it, it was played by Colin Faver at Knowledge - some people here probably went to Knowledge, it was a weekly techno night that ran from 1991-93ish at SW1 Club in Victoria, London, with Faver and Colin Dale as residents. Loftgroover too, later on.

I think Knowledge finished in 1993, or at least I never went after then, so the track I'm trying to ID won't be from later than 1993, but it MIGHT be from 1992 or earlier - I was going from 92 to 93 for sure. Also I heard the track twice in a short period of time (a few weeks) so I'm guessing it was released around that time, 92/93.

Here's the description. You ready?

It's got......an Apache break loop.....(I think)

....and a female vocal.

That's almost all I can tell you, but I do have a few other details.

As I remember it, the track had a minimal feel. Not much apart from the drum loop and the vocal. Almost mellow in vibe, deep, but not slow, it still mixed in at the same tempo as the rougher tunes around that time. The Apache loop was probably just a 4 beat section, not a bigger part of the full sample. I don't remember any heavy snare business over the top but my memory of those years is patchy at best.

The most memorable part of the track was the vocal. As I remember it, the vocal sounded like it MIGHT have been recorded for the track itself, rather than sampled in from somewhere else...but I could be wrong there too. It was kinda soulful, mournful, all with this minimal drum loop shuffling along with it.

The vocal wasn't just a chipmunk loop, it was a woman singing over the top, and there was at least one part when her voice gets very loud and intense. When it was played at Knowledge, I remember everyone on the dance floor covering their ears at one point cos the vocal got so loud it hurt the ears (that sound system was too much in there).

OK, feel free to laugh, or take a guess.

It's not from the same track but attached here is a sample of the sort of Apache treatment used in the track I'm thinking of. That 4 beat loop is what I remember - don't know if that's all the way through or just the main beat.

apach.mp3

Ez Max,

i'll have a stab

https://youtu.be/j3GYIXokAvg

Thanks for trying but that's not it.

Has the drum sample but doesn't have the woman singing over the top. My memory tells me the track I'm after wasn't super hectic and didn't have loads of rave stabs. All I really remember is the drum loop and the soulful vocal that gets really intense in one part of the track.

Thread Information