PDA

View Full Version : Help-Mike Allan Rap show

DJ Drift
20th November 2007, 09:02 PM
Hey there!
Being an old skool B-boy I hope you are able to help me before I go mad!!
Way way back in the day, Mike Allan used to have his rap show on Capital Radio.
Being a little B-boy even then I used to tune in and record all the new tracks out.
Now, here comes the problem......
When he did the 'Allan's Army Countdown' of Groove Records( now you know I was really there, bet you haven't heard that name in a while!) top 10 chart, he used to use a real slow heavy bass instrumental electro track with loads of echo effect to it. Real dark sounding track in the background whilst announcing the chart.
I've emailed Mike directly in my search and he couldn't remember what it was or who it was by.
Please help me get that track, I need it for my sanity!

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

DJ Drift

Meltdown
20th November 2007, 09:53 PM
Ok i never got the capital radio thing until it went to National Fresh in 86 but i do remember he used to use The Russell Brothers-The Party Scene (Instrumental Mix) on the National fresh Frontline Chart so i'm pretty sure it'll prolly be this ur after:p

Russell Brothers, The - The Party Scene (http://www.discogs.com/release/746830)

DJ Drift
21st November 2007, 10:07 AM
you are the man!!!!
Thankyou sooooo much, it's been driving me mad for years, trying to find it!
Just managed to get on mint copy on ebay for £45.00. I know its alot but on Gemm.com in the USA they wanted $111 (around £55 then add delivery costs $$$$) so really I got a bargin!

Meltdown
21st November 2007, 08:48 PM
you are the man!!!!
Thankyou sooooo much, it's been driving me mad for years, trying to find it!
Just managed to get on mint copy on ebay for £45.00. I know its alot but on Gemm.com in the USA they wanted $111 (around £55 then add delivery costs $$$$) so really I got a bargin!

Yup it still sounds great 2day i never actually realised it was a dub of that track until i stumbled across it accidentally.

DJ Drift
22nd November 2007, 04:05 PM
Yup it still sounds great 2day i never actually realised it was a dub of that track until i stumbled across it accidentally.

Managed to get another mint copy for £30!! Got two copys winging thier way to my turntables now!! I feel some sick beat juggling coming on!!!!:cool:

Meltdown
22nd November 2007, 08:10 PM
Managed to get another mint copy for £30!! Got two copys winging thier way to my turntables now!! I feel some sick beat juggling coming on!!!!:cool:

Lol nice 1 & a good price that :thumbsup:

Fiasko1
7th December 2007, 03:29 PM
Funnily enough I've been looking for a track that Mike Allen used to play in the background while reading out his chart too. Your definition of it in the opening post sounds a bit like the one I'm after but it's not The Russell Brothers as I've just found the one I'm after is Gaudi Park by Tangerine Dream (1985). As you can guess it's not an electro track but more of an ambient track with nice chord melody over the top.
Have a listen if you can find it as it may ring some bells (it certainly has echo effects in it)

DJ Drift
7th December 2007, 06:01 PM
Funnily enough I've been looking for a track that Mike Allen used to play in the background while reading out his chart too. Your definition of it in the opening post sounds a bit like the one I'm after but it's not The Russell Brothers as I've just found the one I'm after is Gaudi Park by Tangerine Dream (1985). As you can guess it's not an electro track but more of an ambient track with nice chord melody over the top.
Have a listen if you can find it as it may ring some bells (it certainly has echo effects in it)

Hey! thanks for that. It was the track I was after (The Russell Brothers) as I emailed Mike Allen direct at Smooth FM and told him I had found it. This is the reply he sent me-

Drift. What a star you are. Seeing the label reminded me – that and having a guy who is an expert on my former play lists is a bit awe inspiring. Nearly as dwarfing as being a hero. Hold it – now hit it . . . MA.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 21 November 2007 16:51
To: Mike Allen
Subject: Re: Help me MIKE PLEEEEEEZZZZ!!!!!!

Hi Mike

Thank you that extra information.
I managed to find what it was from Crazy beat Records. There is a guy there called JP, who I quote "Has a degree in Mike Allan's play lists" and he confirmed that is was indeed The Russell Brothers- The Party Scene (Instrumental mix).

Here is a link to the details....

Russell Brothers, The - The Party Scene (http://www.discogs.com/release/746830)

Thought I would let you know just in case it was bugging you or if anyone else ever asks you.

Take care Mike, and thanks again.

You'll always be one of my hero's!

Peace

Conrad

(DJ Drift)