PDA

View Full Version : Slap-bass based Rave / Garage hybrid track Tony Humphries used to play in the UK

lhalha
29th August 2007, 05:18 AM
Now I don't have an mp3 of this but I reckon someone familiar with the above named DJ will be able to recognise this one for me. It's a bit of a weird tune, not standard 4/4 stuff and quite unique so hopefully it will stand out for someone.

It's basically a track built on a very prominent slap bass guitar riff as its bassline (which is probably not a real bass guitar come to think of it). It starts with no drum and just some quite ravey sharp orchestra-sample stabs then drops into the bass guitar and kick drum. On top of that there is a trippy rising synth arpeggio that repeats for each bar. From memory, after that comes a bit of spanish guitar (I may be wrong on this bit), and finally a very ravey piano breakdown, before inevitably dropping everything back in.

If anyone can decipher my ramblings, any help would be greatly appreciated!

pluto
29th August 2007, 09:47 AM
sounds like this classic = Jam & Spoon - Tales From A Danceographic Ocean (http://www.discogs.com/release/11419)

lhalha
29th August 2007, 10:20 AM
Ok thanks for the tip - I'll check it out. Never had that version of Stella so not familiar with the other tunes on there...!

lhalha
29th August 2007, 10:25 AM
...although judging from the comments on discogs I'm not so sure either of these will be the one... And I presume you are not referring to Stella itself? Actually, come to think of it I can see why you might be - the spanish guitar etc... The tune I am after is way more of a funky fat club stomper, not a trancey floaty (albeit v fat in its own way) one like Stella. Damn if only I could plug my brain into an amp...

lhalha
31st August 2007, 03:27 AM
Nope - it's not either of those tracks on the B side of Stella... Any other leads for me people? :$

lhalha
13th September 2007, 04:19 AM
one last try.... anyone?

dc1972
14th September 2007, 03:49 PM
Its probably the Reese mix of Cameo-Money

http://www.htfr.com/playlist/?catno=MR14172

;)

dc1972
14th September 2007, 04:01 PM
on 2nd thoughts its definately this

2 House/Go Techno(East West) - Item Detail(レコード詳細情報) (http://urb.jp/home/search/vinyl_detail/9158.htm)

the dub ?

lhalha
15th September 2007, 12:53 AM
Wow.. I reckon that's got to be the one but that Japanese site doesn't have any samples of it working (not that I can find on the page anyway) so I am yet to confirm the ID. I haven't trawled around for it yet but will re-post when I can find a snatch of it somewhere... However you have also solved another mystery for me as I have always wanted to know what that "money" track was, and in fact it features on the same mix of Tony's (from a long lost tape recorded from City FM, Liverpool UK) that I remember the slap-bass tune from. So I reckon you are right on the money here !!!!! (excuse the pun)

It also had some weird version of CLS - Can You Feel It with a sample saying something like "no music, no lyrics, boys choir" over the top. "Agroovin" by Bizarre inc which I think mixes into the "money" track, The 2nd half of the Morales mix of D-Ream's "UR the Best Thing" , Never leave you lonely" by Diva Convention and others I can't rememebr... I say this just to give some context to the era, maybe to ring a few more bells...

Thanks for the ID and I will keep you posted :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lhalha
15th September 2007, 01:37 AM
Ok so I realised you *can* click on the links on that Japanese site, they just don't highlight when you mouse over them... BUT the site with the actual samples on is not responding at the moment so still no positive ID :(

However I saw that HTFR had the double 12 with all the tony humphries mixes for about 3 pounds, so I ordered that anyway. So one way or another I'll have a confirmation by the end of next week... :rotate:

Cheers for the help DC !

dc1972
15th September 2007, 10:27 AM
the japanese site is a bit slow !
;)

lhalha
15th September 2007, 05:50 PM
Ok so the links on the Japanese site are working now... Sorry to report that tune is not the one. I think I'm going to have to try and replicate it in FL Studio and post my DIY version ! The tune I am looking for has a very twangy real bass guitar riff as its bassline. Just 2 bars looping over and over. The arpeggio synth, the piano break, and the spanish guitar.... Quite a slow one, like probably 120bpm at its natural pace. I'm thinking it might have been italian but it's maybe a bit too slow and funky for the Italian output of that time (we are talking approx 1992-94 here)

It starts with 8 bars of orchestra stabs on their own
then drops in everything else - the bass guitar, kick drum, the stabs carry on, and the arpeggio.

One other thing that sets it apart - there is no hi hat with the kick drum, it's pretty much all kick and no hats as I remember it, with the super prominent bass guitar riff doing most of the work. Like I say, a bit of a weird tune.

And it's not TC1992 if people are thinking twangy guitars, this is deeper, bass guitar :naughty:

one day....... one day................... :wave:

lhalha
4th October 2007, 08:19 AM
bumping this one again because I can't get it out of my head...!

BUNKERHEADZ
4th October 2007, 06:17 PM
no vocal samples or summat?

lhalha
5th October 2007, 12:13 AM
sorry dude - this is just one I had on an old tape that has since left this world. It was a BIG tune though - very distinctive and I reckon there must be someone out there who can recognise it from the description. One day I am plannning on trying to replicate at least the bassline in fruityloops or something and post it up here :-)