PDA

View Full Version : 1993 / 1994 single unknown trance track

LowSpirit
25th April 2007, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find the title of this old trance track from about 1993 or 1994. I've never heard it played anywhere since this one time way back then.

Clip is attached.

Thank you,

Andrew.

C14ru5
25th April 2007, 07:45 AM
It sounds a lot like a tracker file.

<geek alert />

I have a lot of experience making my own tunes in ProTracker for the Amiga (aah, the good old days!), and this tune sounds like it's a typical example of such. If so, then the tune is not likely to have been released commercially. However, it is very likely to have emerged at a demoscene competition at some LAN party.

Arguments for an uncommercial tracker file:
-There's never more than four instruments playing at once
-The instruments are samples that change timbre in the most basic way when pitched. It could also be an Akai S3000 sampler or similar, but I have my doubts ;)
-Patterns are 64-step (typically you hear 16 bassdrum kicks in a pattern, with four 1/16th notes in between)
-The use of manually simualted echo, and no reverb or other typical studio effects

Arguments against an uncommercial tracker file:
-If Winamp is able to play .mod files directly, why has this file been converted to mp3? Maybe it was recorded onto tape some time, worse accidents have happened before...
-The final sweep is tough to pull off, but can be done by clever use of sample offset, or by having many instruments in the tracker file.
-Hardsequencer was an artist that started out making music in trackers. Later, some of those tunes were mastered in a studio before they were released commercially. Other artists might have done so as well.

I'm sorry about the geeky attitude, but it was necessary to prove my point :wave:

LowSpirit
25th April 2007, 10:41 PM
I didn't think about that possibility. I guess it could be the case but I hope not! It was recorded onto tape from radio (with bad FM reception) in late 1993 or early 1994. Atlantic Ocean's Waterfall is also on the same tape as well as some megamix that has Culture Beat's Mr Vain and stuff like that.

Thank you for your ideas.

C14ru5
26th April 2007, 08:48 PM
Atlantic Ocean's Waterfall is also on the same tape
Oh, you mean THIS (http://homepage.mac.com/bjornarlassen/waterfall.zip) version of Waterfall? That MOD file has a creation date 21-09-1993, and is something which was grabbed off the Thunderdome BBS in 1994. :moonie: