PDA

View Full Version : New user, new Id wanted

flexmartin
17th November 2006, 07:31 AM
This seems like a really really long shot to find this Id as the tune has no distinguishable sample or vocal hook. I'm trying to replicate the melody to post a sound clip in the future but I'm no producer so that's a challenge too.

Anyway, this tune would have been around towards the end of the '80's and was played on the 808 State shows from time-to-time. (Yes, I am downloading the old 808 shows and going through them but no luck so far, the downloadable shows start at 1990)

I had it on a tape when I was in my last year at school, so I'm sure it was about 1988-1999.

The tune:
It is not a nightclub tune, it's quirky and weird and 'acidic' edit: not acid style in the beat, not acid drops
There is a slow start with some ?303? rumblings accompanied by creaking echo-type noises. Then a tone (not a string, but almost) that pitchbends up and down for a while. Then a sound that I can't describe (edit: a little bit like the bleeps in Poindexter's "Computer Madness" and Shake's "Sonar123") provides more weirdness in a way that I can't describe :(
Damn, I need to try and replicate it, I'll get back to you.

The tune did come back into my life much later 1996+. I walked into Eastern Bloc and it was coming through the speakers. However at the time I didn't buy it and now it haunts me.

Catch ya soon

edit: There is a terrible attempt to recreate the tune attached. After the bad pitch bending there are some chimes, the chimes are on the right track and may jog a memory ... if I'm lucky ;-)

Konspiracy
17th November 2006, 09:58 AM
There are some tracklists on OSA - www.oldskoolanthemz.com , and on bradys site, will try and find the link

you can also check the forum on the 808 State site

without a better description, you are right it is a challenge

Thinking about it tho, are you on about the tune they used to start the show with..? If its the one I think it is you are out of luck, it was made by one of the 808 lads and never released:(

flexmartin
17th November 2006, 11:22 AM
Nope, it's not the show starter by the lads.

The sound I couldn't describe before is a little bit like the bleeps in Poindexter's "Computer Madness" and Shake's "Sonar123".

Incidently, "Sonar123" -Shake (Anthony Shakir) is track 37 in Jan 15 1991's 808 state show. It's not Id'd in the tracklist at the moment and I'm not registered for that site yet.

The tune I'm looking for wasn't played often, and it was short, it wasn't a stand out tune because it was weird and quirky , not dancefloor focussed. I'll keep at it with my plan to recreate part of it.

BUNKERHEADZ
17th November 2006, 07:17 PM
Just d/l some of the old shows they have, perhaps ya are lucky:

http://www.808state.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

But as Kons said, if it was a toon by the 2 lads dem self it will be tuff with this description ;)

good luck mukka :thumbsup:

doolz
20th November 2006, 06:26 PM
woah nice recreation lol

flexmartin
20th November 2006, 10:49 PM
woah nice recreation lol

Yeah, pretty impressive huh :$

doolz
21st November 2006, 07:37 AM
sorry didnt mean to take the piss :thumbsup:

good luck with gettin the id dude

BUNKERHEADZ
21st November 2006, 10:24 AM
I'll salute you Sir :wave:

Nice attempt and this Cloggie will eat one if it isn't Ryuichi Sakamoto - Riot In Lagos (http://www.discogs.com/release/461750) you are after :thumbsup:

http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR108572_1.mp3

flexmartin
21st November 2006, 12:28 PM
@ Doolz, you're ok man, no offence taken. And, as you can see, we have a positive Id!!

@ Bunkerheadz, That is absolutely wicked mate. You are right on the mark and I doubt I would have ever found it without you. :thumbsup:

I have another challenge or two that I'll start a new thread with. With samples this time, so there'll be no need for me to try and recreate any more tunes, thankfully.

Thanks again,
Flex

BUNKERHEADZ
21st November 2006, 12:53 PM
Your welcome m8 :)

I'm already glad I don't have to eat my clogs LOL :thumbsup:

will keep an eye out on ya other unknows :)

flexmartin
21st November 2006, 11:34 PM
Still can't believe that Sakamoto-san is so ubiquitous! I mean, I've looked at discogs and around on the web to discover he's being making music for 'ever' and I've never knowingly listened to any of it! How many producers cite YMO as influences yet I've never dipped into any of the YMO catalog. This 'Riot in Lagos' tune appears to be on his CD called, 'B2-Unit', that I can pick in my home city! Thanks again.

I have another 3 unknowns; only 2 have lyrics and samples that I can remember, but I do not have sound samples to post. just to make it more difficult ;-) New thread come soon.

Flex