PDA

View Full Version : tune id for a wicked 1991 track, colin dale - KILLERHERTZ *SOLVED*

allensarmy
21st June 2006, 05:42 PM
oi oi all,

does anyone have any idea what this choon is

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/onejaz/JAZ%20IDs/colindalekissfm.mp3 UPDATED LINK 26-04-2008

any help would b wicked

keep it old school

cheers

Richie K (Sunrise music Radio)

London's Original Sunrise Fm (http://www.sunrisemusicradio.co.uk) catch me live every Tuesday & Fridays playing wicked old school Hardcore, House & New Drum & Bass

BUNKERHEADZ
21st June 2006, 06:07 PM
Welcome on TUNEID m8 :thumbsup:

This tuna is one of the most asked and yet still unsolved tunes that pops up on every site, one day I tell ya, one day this on will be solved :fekked:

allensarmy
21st June 2006, 06:13 PM
cheers bunkerheadz for the comments, great site this, i used it about 6 months ago and it came up trumps!

Wicked choon this one, never mind i'm sure someone will evently know it lol

pauly p
10th July 2006, 11:38 AM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!

I wish I never taped that show on that date as this tune has been driving me mad now for over 15 frikkin years. :'( :(

Not even Mr Dale can remember re this e-mail :S ...

"Hi Paul,
How are you doing…….good I hope. I really wish I could help you with the name of the track you requested but I can’t. It sounds familiar but I’ve got some 35,000 + records so as you can imagine its hard to remember all the names. “The Abstrakt Dance” show has been off air for some time now and I’ve relocated to south of France but we’ll be bringing back the show Jan / Feb next year via the web with visuals. If your in London 27th December and feel like partying I’ll be at Fabric – London………….if its your trip just drop me a line and I’ll put you and a friend on the guest list.
Once again sorry about the tune……..its definitely German but I haven’t a clue who.
Kindest regards.
Peace…………………………….out.
Colin"

BUNKERHEADZ
10th July 2006, 05:50 PM
German it is then, I told someone that on Oggs as well when he asked for this tune, I was close, now all we need is a name or a hint or any fookin' given clue :thumbsup:

Lable(s) that comes to mi mind are Overdrive and Timeplan, let us pray:fekked:

epoch
10th July 2006, 05:53 PM
Could be way off the mark ere but it sounds like summut of the same label as nightripper volumes i think the label was esp (dutch) deffo rings a bell anyway ill dig a few of em out and have a listen

BUNKERHEADZ
10th July 2006, 05:56 PM
;) Save ya breath m8, it ain't deffo NOT an ESP release, I've got most of 'm and I know the releases I ain't have, it ain't those either :wave:

epoch
10th July 2006, 06:04 PM
Baah this is gonna do my swede in sounds well familiar :'(

allensarmy
10th July 2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks all for the info on this choon! oh well we'll find it some day, gonna go through all my German releases from that era, may take me a while lol (could it be on Boy Records or summin like that maybe?)

great to read the response from Mr Dale himself

wicked stuff, i'll b intouch

pauly p
11th July 2006, 01:00 AM
Was told recently its possibly an SSR release :)
Gonna buy them all till I find it might not be that label

BUNKERHEADZ
11th July 2006, 10:02 AM
Hmmmm, SSR, they were more into atmospheric Techno tunes round that time, well, on OGGS the 1991 cat# ends with SSR 119, so we have to get the tunes before that.

All I can say it ain't Photon' or the T.O.S. EP for sure :)

scamartist
23rd July 2006, 11:48 PM
The acid riff at the beginning what track is that sampled from?:confused:

Have definitely heard that acid riff before could possibly be a way to narrow it down possibly to a year anyway...phones:

Brooker
24th July 2006, 10:23 AM
The Acid riff is used on Jazz 3033 by Joey Beltram (Beltram Vol 1).
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the tune is....

pauly p
21st September 2006, 10:06 AM
Bump!
Someone out there must know this :p :p :p :p

montydj
21st September 2006, 10:23 PM
I have also asked about this tune i think this tune never came out on Vinyl maybe it was just a demo sent into the radio show as that radio show played people demo's but i hope i am wrong as it is a great tune sounds UK to me tho.:S

Colin Faver encouraged people to send in their own mixes to his show as well as getting well known DJs and producers to send in theirs on a DAT tape 30 mins max was the limit with no limit on the styles Most were between 25-30 mins.That is what is written in discogs....

JAZ
23rd September 2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah I thought it was Beltram till the strings & bleep come in, hopefully someone will get it in the end as it's such a quality track :cool:

rd1
24th April 2008, 03:05 AM
Did anyone ever get the name of this??

groovesection
26th April 2008, 11:50 AM
can the id be reloaded please,original link is dead,Doubt i will know it but i have over 10,000 tunes so maybe :) lol

JAZ
26th April 2008, 03:01 PM
You wont know it Ant lol
No it aint Beltram even though it samples it, I have it saved on my web page as I so want it as well ...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/onejaz/JAZ%20IDs/colindalekissfm.mp3

groovesection
26th April 2008, 06:17 PM
You right there G.I have no idea,never even heard it b4 lol

procopap
20th December 2008, 04:35 AM
i must to say something about the sound.is definetely not demo because i heard it at 1990 .except demos flying for all countries(joking):)) bunkerheadz which labels from german or holland you check?

powpow
20th December 2008, 03:06 PM
It always sounded like Photon - Doin' Our Thang to me, which I heard Colin play on his show once...

Photon - Doin' Our Thang (12") at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/release/113300)

Has anyone got the TOS EP to check Security?

Various - T.O.S. EP #1 (12", EP) at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/release/114130)

tkon
21st December 2008, 09:09 PM
Its neither of those powpow as i have,im after this too as is everyone it seems

procopap
21st December 2008, 10:34 PM
must be give money for that song:))) i must say something more for this.joey beltram lived in switzerland at 1990 if i remember well.maybe write it there in one label.colin dale says german label but passed 18 years .maybe not remember very well.someone to know switzerland labels?

SecretSquizza
22nd December 2008, 10:31 AM
dude over at slsk said he mailed Beltram about this track and it's defo not him.

moshk2009@yahoo.co.uk
8th February 2009, 09:38 PM
Its was me whos been trying to find this track, and i have asked many people including joey beltram him self, infact joey didnt even know about the track, so he didnt have a clue...

Myself and a few other on oggs did have a slight breakthru, as the track is very similar, to

Killerhertz (2) - Love Byte / Distant Dream (12", Promo, W/Lbl, Ltd) at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/Killerhertz-Love-Byte-Distant-Dream/release/255226)

the strontium mix on this, is sampled or very similar to this id we all want, so, Killerhertz, have obviously, heard this track somewhere and decided to use it, so, the id must be on vinyl, and not a dat as you all think, or, its possibly an unreleased remix, of lovebyte which didnt make it on FX records.....hope this all helps...you should all take a listen to the ep love bytes to see what im talking about

powpow
8th February 2009, 10:16 PM
jaysus you ain't wrong... good lead mate

YouTube - Killerhertz - Distant Dream (X-Static Mix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcT3437pTU&feature=related)

moshk2009@yahoo.co.uk
8th February 2009, 10:23 PM
Very unlikely this track is german, and colin dale cant remember so probably just thinks that, in my opinion doesnt sound anything like overdrive material...

The best way to find this track now, is by tracking down the artist killerhertz, as he used the track in his distant dream 12"....To be honest, its most likely a track from killerherz, a remix of distant dream, that didnt make vinyl

moshk2009@yahoo.co.uk
8th February 2009, 10:29 PM
or it made vinyl but in limited quantities

procopap
9th February 2009, 08:50 AM
oh my god!!!!!!!!!!! same sample:) its 100% on vilyl then:) we have hopes:))))nice work moshk2009!!!!!!!!!!!! i find it now ,i hope:))))

Sonic92
9th February 2009, 08:24 PM
Good bit of detective work that :thumbsup:

Ive got Killerhertz and I never made the connection :$

Plenty of artists on FX, sure one of them will have contact deets for Mr Killerhertz!!

Very unlikely this track is german, and colin dale cant remember so probably just thinks that, in my opinion doesnt sound anything like overdrive material...

The best way to find this track now, is by tracking down the artist killerhertz, as he used the track in his distant dream 12"....To be honest, its most likely a track from killerherz, a remix of distant dream, that didnt make vinyl

moshk2009@yahoo.co.uk
9th February 2009, 11:10 PM
agreed sonic92

I think one of us need to get hold of label owners of FX records, or killerhertz(I think he was the owner), as he will def have the answer to solve this impossible ID...

Anyone know his email? or contact details?

If anyone does get hold of him, please post the name of the ID up on this board, as its taken quite some time to get this far with this...

procopap
9th February 2009, 11:46 PM
there is one killerhertz on myspace.i hope to be the right one:)

moshk2009@yahoo.co.uk
9th February 2009, 11:52 PM
@procopap hopefully its the same artist, worth a try

moshk2009@yahoo.co.uk
9th February 2009, 11:52 PM
If its not by killerhertz, then hes going to know where the samples are from....or what tune

procopap
10th February 2009, 02:40 PM
i asked him yestarday about that but not respond yet......so we must wait....i wait 19 years ,one day is enough more:)))

moshk2009@yahoo.co.uk
10th February 2009, 03:14 PM
hopefully he will reply, or maybe he wont, hehe

Theirs many people after this tune anyway, so your not alone will jut be a breakthru to know really..

procopap
10th February 2009, 03:37 PM
all internet search the same tune:))))xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxxaxaxax

Sonic92
10th February 2009, 07:29 PM
I hope we can finally nail this, its one of the last 3 on my unknowns list! and probably everyone elses!! :D

procopap
12th February 2009, 09:43 PM
Not Respond Yet ,damn It((

SecretSquizza
17th March 2009, 09:09 AM
I also messaged Killerhertz on myspace. It's not the Killerhertz we are looking for.

poo.

procopap
17th March 2009, 11:27 AM
so now we must check all sounds of killerheadz in fx records....bad luck:((

Reinforced
17th March 2009, 10:31 PM
this is a wicked track. hope you gonna sort it out!

SecretSquizza
18th March 2009, 12:13 PM
this is a wicked track. hope you gonna sort it out!

No shit Reinforced. Unfortunately, this track just doesn't want to be id'ed.

:fekked:

laith179
18th March 2009, 12:49 PM
you could write a book on this tune.. good luck fellow tune heads

SecretSquizza
18th March 2009, 06:11 PM
you could write a book on this tune.. good luck fellow tune heads

Book wouldn't have a title though!

BUNKERHEADZ
18th March 2009, 08:11 PM
REMOVED POST

nothing shocking - contained info, thats gone now :)

BUNKERHEADZ
18th March 2009, 08:20 PM
I think I have might found the Killerhertz, needs just one email to get a confirmation...fingers crossed boys :) :thumbsup:

Sonic92
18th March 2009, 10:12 PM
I have e mailed him Bunks!! ;)

laith179
18th March 2009, 11:01 PM
wow good luck great team work it shows the true sprit of such a good site with liked minded people respect....

killerhertz
18th March 2009, 11:10 PM
Yep. I got the email. I made that tune. Takes me back ;-)

BUNKERHEADZ
18th March 2009, 11:33 PM
Ha!

just got yer replies m8, thx for getting back that fast :thumbsup:

I think THE main thing we wanna know is . . .

is it ur track that is added here in the first post?

is it an alternative or other mix version of Killerhertz - Love Byte (Strontium Mix) as it 'samples' the longest running Old Skool unknown in the internet history :D

Make the oldtimers massive a happy one m8!

Did ya more tracks then the ones that are on Discogs?

and the photo of that car I saw on yer site..fekkin' wikked that one :)

rest me one more thing to say - THX for making me / us dance in the past, KILLER(hertz) toonz for sure :thumbsup:

killerhertz
18th March 2009, 11:40 PM
Yes. The tune in the first post was made by me. The later version was released on the Killerhertz Love Byte EP is what it evolved into, though on that EP, I think Distant Dream is the stronger track (though the best mix of DD never made it to vinyl at all)

I'll post in a minute the details of the first track - though you're not going to like it :o

killerhertz
19th March 2009, 12:47 AM
OK,

So there I am in 1991 (I think!) and Kiss Fm has not been on air for long (legally). It had launched in London and I could just about get reception here in Kent with a good aerial. I was listening to Colin Dale and Colin Favor a lot, so thats where my infleunces came from. I couldn't really play any instruments, but I could string together the tunes I had in my head with a sequencer and some patience :D

My first music gear was an Akai S950 sampler, a Yamaha SY-22 synth, a TR909 drum machine (yes a real one) a cheap mixer and reverb, and this was all running off an Alesis MMT8 hardware sequencer. I only had a Commodore Amiga at the time and hadn't bought Music-x then. I was never an Atari user.

Its been fun reading the posts this evening. Seems the tune in question is a source of much debate and misery :o and there is a lot of mention of Colin Dale. Well its been the best part of 20 years, but I have it my memory that it was Colin Favor that played this tune. He used to do a spot encouraging people to send their tunes it - it was called Demo Dat Pressure I think. I also have this show on tape somewhere in a box but nowhere handy so can't confirm.

I did two tunes at this time with my old Alesis sequencer and sent them in to the Colin Favor(?) show. The first tune was called Madness (it was rubbish) but he played it one week. The second tune, and I think I did call it Love Byte even on the demo, was played a week later - and that is what the tune uploaded in the first post is - my original tune from the Demo Dat Pressure slot on Colin Favor's show.

That was good enough for me - an endorsement from Colin :D. I borrowed some cash to press 1000 records - but not either of these tunes made it. I released a tune on my own label Evasion records called The Enforcer, which sold OK. I was working at a printers back then, so it even had a decent printed cover.

Colin Favor played both sides of this one week after the other, and gave away 5 copies on air as I had sent them in for a competition giveaway.

Now the oringal Love Byte was still sitting there untouched. I had the tune, the riffs and the samples. However, the crowd I was mixing with at the time, said it sounded *too synthy* as it had the chords playing quite a lot from the SY22 keyboard. It wasn't very current as the trend was swinging to very sample based and breakbeaty tunes. The next release of mine went out on FX records, which was based at the studio I was using to mix. The track was Called NRG and for that release I was called Crossfade. One of the riffs in that used the sample sound from Love Byte - I think the original sample came from a track by Shades of Rythm called Excorcist. So I guess after that I felt I couldn't use that sample again. You'll find that on Youtube (search for Crossfade NRG and the B-Side was Crossfade Here We Go Again)

The guts, melodies and sequences from the original Love Byte were than ported over from the Alesis sequencer to my Amiga, now running Music-X and the tune evolved into several mixes, 2 of which went out on the Distant Dream EP.

Both Love Byte and Distant Dream tracks were released not as I originally had them when I went into the studio, they were made a bit more piano-ish and developed whilst being recorded - as I was not releasing this on my own label I had to trust the direction of who was footing the bill for the pressings!

Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Lots of stuff happened after that thats irrelevant, but thats how Love Byte came to be as released on vinyl.

But what about the original most-hunted for mix?

Well I really hate to dissapoint. The mix that was played on the radio show was never released on vinyl. Bigger fool me, as just listening to it tonight has made me ask why not! At the time it just didn't quite fit I guess.

Even worse than that, it was never even put down on DAT. I didn't have one then. Thats right, my tracks were sent in to Kiss Fm and played from a cassette. A ruddy cassette tape and I was on air. Couldn't believe it.

The whole thing was on a hardware sequencer that couldn't save anything. So no files from that. The Akai S950 sampler disks have long been corrupt. The gear has long been sold.

No Cassettes. No Vinyl. No DAT. Sorry guys - if I had a DAT master tape of it I'd get it MP3'd and you could do what you wanted with it.

Probably the only surviving copies are what people taped off of the radio station back in the day, and that sounded a bit ropy then with cassette compression, and then even more radio FM compression when it was transmitted.

Sorry to dissapoint, but I hope it puts a few things to rest and ends some peoples fruitless searches.

If anyone wants to re-record it sometime let me know and I'll try to help :p

The acid sample is of course from Joey Beltram, the main Breakbeat is of course from the Stone Roses Fools Gold, the high pitch riff is from Shades of Rythm Excorcist, the pads are from a Yamaha SY22, no idea where the siren sample is from, and the bassline is just killing me. I can't think of anthing I had at the time that would have sounded like that. It could have only come from the Akai sampler (so could be anything) or the Yamaha SY22.

Has anyone got a full length decent bitrate MP3 of the original broadcast - I'd love to hear it all again!

Regards

killerhertz
19th March 2009, 12:48 AM
Sonic - I never got an email from yourself, only Bunks - but I hope my post has cleared up all you wanted to know about it.

BUNKERHEADZ
19th March 2009, 01:13 AM
Eric = Sonikunderground = BUNKERHEADZ ;)

and kin hell, worra story!

pity it was never pressed or saved on a DAT or floppy, all we can say about that is that ya made history here with the most sought after unknown tune there ever was.
Let's see if we can sort ya out with that broadcast, I have a feeling someone from my forum does have it :)

OLD SKOOL LOVERS '80 - '93 / Colin Faver & Colin Dale - KISS 100 FM (http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/86589)

THX :D

SecretSquizza
19th March 2009, 08:45 AM
Well Bunkz, you promised you'd solve it one day and you have. Excellent work and it was great to read the story of the track. Nice one Killerhertz - should have stuck to your guns, you were just too ahead of your time!

Gutted no-one seems to have the whole tune. Just have to re-record it for us... :thumbsup:

iamdek
19th March 2009, 10:36 AM
Excellent story killerhertz. Thanks for taking the time to tell it!

Meltdown
19th March 2009, 09:59 PM
gutted

pauly p
19th March 2009, 10:37 PM
Jeeeeeeeeeeez, Ace story Killerhertz Respect!!! - Proper ID put to bed. Always thought this would be taken to the grave lol.

Just been on a mission to rip my old Maxell tape so here is probably the best rip sop far (4.30 mins).

Killerhertz - Colin Dale Unknown ID.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zrw3ygtdizz)

If anyone feels like tweaking it then please do. :-)

procopap
19th March 2009, 10:51 PM
killerhertz then....yeahhhhhhhhhh.nice job gyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!big one mystery find solution.i hope to find better tape pauly p xeexexexexexexex.fantastic song!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonic92
20th March 2009, 12:12 AM
Hello Killerhertz, went to great lengths to find you!! through Lee Humphries, Simon Underground finally to Sean Moffet!!! Bunks found an easier route lol :D

Fantastic story, on the one hand Im relieved to finally know the tale behind this tune, on the other Im very disappointed i'll never track it down on vinyl. Last hope is that someone is up for trying to recreate it with you. You could put a few hundred copies out on vinyl, make a few quid and make a lot of people very happy!!

Pauly, wonderful to hear a more complete version of the track, makes me want it even more now!!!! :(

Someone must have the gear to reproduce it!!!!

Cheers for the story - amazing tune, respect Killerhertz!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sonic - I never got an email from yourself, only Bunks - but I hope my post has cleared up all you wanted to know about it.

8anana
20th March 2009, 11:40 AM
Finally nailed after all those years, thanks for making it happen ppl :)

Thanks for taking the time to write up that story Chris and thanks for all the quality tunes you've made.

Love hearing these stories behind the music we all love here.

Oh and nice1 Pauly , thats pretty much the whole tune there.
Tried to polish it up a bit in wavelab , but not really got a clue what im doing.
Did notice the levels were very high and sounded a bit distorted , maybe you could redo it without it clipping ?

here it is : zSHARE - killerhertz demo.mp3 (http://www.zshare.net/audio/573231665990eb36/)

ragga
20th March 2009, 05:12 PM
can someone attach a sample on to this site? I know it wont do it justice but I am stuck at work and would love to hear it if possible

Cheers

BUNKERHEADZ
20th March 2009, 07:37 PM
Bunks found an easier route lol :D

Yellow pages mukka, easy as that ;) :thumbsup:

BUNKERHEADZ
20th March 2009, 07:38 PM
@ Ragga - a clip is attached on the first post of this thread :)

Sonic92
20th March 2009, 08:19 PM
LOL!! Ffs, and I thought I was being clever!! :D

Yellow pages mukka, easy as that ;) :thumbsup:

BUNKERHEADZ
20th March 2009, 08:32 PM
LOL, nah taking the piss m8 -

I Googled on C Marwood Kent UK and emailed the first one that was on top of the results page, turned out it was bullseye :)

killerhertz
20th March 2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks Pauly P for ripping it and putting it up for download. I've been listening to it all day LOL Certainly saved me a lot of searching for old tapes of the show.

procopap
20th March 2009, 11:41 PM
All Day Killerhertz !!!!!yessssssssssssssssssssss

procopap
23rd March 2009, 07:13 PM
i wait one better tape.am i so selfish????

Biskit
23rd March 2009, 09:46 PM
so we can say this id is.. killerhertz - love byte (unreleased mix)

procopap
23rd March 2009, 09:57 PM
we can say that biskit,but if you see upstairs pauly p found all song from tape but not so good.who"s find better sound than pauly p tape?

BUNKERHEADZ
24th March 2009, 11:46 AM
Pauly P's tape is the best version there is atm...Chris is gonna do a remake of it as soon as he finds time, he sorted out a befriended producer who's willing to let Chris use his set up :)

JAZ
25th March 2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the complete/ish version pauly p & to everyone else who put in the work tracking it down.
Nice story behind the track Killerhertz & cheers for taking the time to come on here & let us know it, pity it was never released or saved though.

Man that tune always puts a smile on my face & a little rush down my back, I love that 91 techno groove sound.

killerhertz
28th March 2009, 02:54 PM
Well I've now found my original recording of the whole Colin Faver show from that night in '91 and it does include the beginning, and the end with voiceover. You haven't missed much, the intro is just beats. I'll get it ripped to MP3 soon and put it online.

With regards to re-recording, I've dusted off an old controller keyboard and started playing about in Reason. Compositionally its easy to re-arrange, but I haven't found the siren sample, or a good bass that sounds like the main. I'll keep hunting though and see what happens.

BUNKERHEADZ
28th March 2009, 03:54 PM
Chris -

someone said that the siren sound cud have been taken from a Trance Trax track, the ones on Beat Box International, Belgium label, I have a couple of m and all as mp3, gonna ave a listen tonight and see if I can get ya the sample.

If ya check Oggs ya see I posted the Shades Of Rhythm sample as wav, ready to use ;)

BUNKERHEADZ
28th March 2009, 04:00 PM
Trance Trax - First (12") at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/Trance-Trax-First/release/82392)

that's the one - Fuck You is the siren one, start of the track, will make ya a wav and post it on Oggs.

doolz
28th March 2009, 05:38 PM
wow id'd at last this id has been floating around for ages

i allways said it sounded like it was a Demo dat pressure jobbie... and it was

fucking top work fellas

killerhertz
28th March 2009, 11:32 PM
Thats great. Would make sense too - I remember having some Trance Trax vinyls. Just a few more sounds to collect now phones:

deejay storm
29th March 2009, 02:43 PM
OK,

great read mate :thumbsup:

stevee0303
29th March 2009, 07:22 PM
I stumbled across this post/story just the other day and what a read, i'm in love with the track, it's a shame it never made it to vinyl as it should be right up there with the best of em in the era.

Count me in for a copy when it's remade.

Stevee0303:spin:

willuf
31st March 2009, 09:31 PM
Well what a great piece of getting hold of summin and people chasing it up.

I had this tune on a KISS fm tape too, so it must be 18 years old ...(you know this)

Thanks for cleaning up the tape mp3
Thanks guys for chasing this one up...
Cheers for making it.

When i first heard the sample tune for ID ages ago when it first was put on here it took me back to my youth . there you go ...SUPERB

When me mate does an Oldskool mix on the radio i will get him to put it in

Amazing it was never put on record and thus i believe not played at the raves cos it represents the genre so well...

A CLASSIC .

Regard s wIlLuf

djpileup
31st March 2009, 11:31 PM
what a great tune and I really enjoyed reading this thread. It really sums up what tuneID is all about :)

Shooms
29th April 2009, 10:09 PM
Stickied this thread as it shows the determination & lengths you guys will go to to get an ID nailed & frankly this thread is proper inspirational.... full respect all round & much propz to Killerhertz for taking the time to register & tell the full tale... :)

Hats off to ya all :D

BUNKERHEADZ
29th April 2009, 10:33 PM
Oi Shooms in the house, ez fella, good idea for the sticky :thumbsup:

on Oggs the story continues.. :)

OLD SKOOL LOVERS '80 - '93 / Killerhertz - Love Byte (Strontium Mix) vs Colin Dale Kiss FM unknown (http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/184137)

Dylan B
24th May 2009, 12:34 AM
Hey guys,

Have just seen this post today and enjoyed the read. I too have been searchin' all over for this one for about 18 years but just realised I'd spelt Killerhertz incorrectly in the past which is why I didn't find this thread til now. I've always thought about remaking this tune myself as it is such an uplifting piece. Good to see so many like minded people with such gr8 comments. Back in the day, I sent in a demo to Colin Dale and got it played just before the start of the last hour (Outer Limits) so I know what a buzz it is to get stuff played on the radio!

Anyway a little treat!!! I've just found the full length version I recorded on Kiss FM in 1991 when it got played as Demo DAT Pressure on the Colin Favor show. I reckon if my memory serves me correctly, it must have been about July 1991. This version has the drums at the start and finishes with Colin Favor announcing the name of the track. The quality isn't too bad and as I live in Sidcup in Kent, I used to listen to Kiss with really good stereo reception.

The best part of this tune for me are the SY22 pads. There's just so much energy in them. By the way I think the Shades of Rhythm sample is taken from the Homocide track and not the Exorcist although they both appeared on the same EP. I'd love to know where the bass sounds are from. There are 2 types of bass sounds used - the one at the start and another which comes in a bit later on in the track and has a more hardcore feel to it! It sounds a bit like the one used in DMS Exterminate. Hey Killerhertz try to rack you brain man!!

Lastly gotta say hi to Richie who created this thread. I met you at the Sunrise party a few years back. You might remember me and Ros from the chat room! Anyhow, Keep bustin them tunes boy!!

Killerhertz, you should be proud with this little beauty. It's definitely one of the most sought after, hard to find, oldskool tunes of back in the day. Congratulations

Happy listening me ol' mateys!! Love and peace from 1991. Let the bass kick! ;)))) ...

http://rapidshare.com/files/236524225/Killerhertz Demo DAT (full length) - Colin Favor 1991 (http://rapidshare.com/files/236524225/Killerhertz_Demo_DAT.mp3)

powpow
27th May 2009, 12:52 PM
Dylan - nice one for this mate. It's by far the best rip so far.... :mad:

Just need the man himself to get this track rebuilt!

BUNKERHEADZ
27th May 2009, 01:21 PM
Nice one m8!

This one still keeps us busy after all dem years :thumbsup:

BUNKERHEADZ
27th May 2009, 01:23 PM
Owww - and welcome onboard lad! :)

leebartman
28th May 2009, 07:51 AM
On another note... I can't remember for the life of me what the other track is being played at the end of that full length demo!! Anyone put me out of my misery please?

Dylan B
30th May 2009, 10:33 AM
Hey Lee, I was just thinking the same thing mate. That's one that got nicked from my collection a few years back and I can't remember the name of the track or the artist! Sorry. :fekked:

Glad everyone is enjoying the new Killerhertz rip I put up. If I had a pound for every time it got downloaded here, I'd be a rich man!! Well over 40 downloads already... Very popular! Hopefully it will give Chris even more determination to get it re-written and pressed up. Such an amazing track that deserves the highest praise! Well done Chris.

killerhertz
31st May 2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for putting up the track Dylan. Certainly saved me some bother trying to rip my old video tape of it :thumbsup:

I've managed to find an SY22 disk in soundfont format, and the string/pad sound is there. Needs a bit of tweaking to make it sound just so, but it shouldn't be too hard to match.

The biggest issue (as well as having the time in my life) is the first bass/lead sound that plays throughout most of the tune. I haven't found where it came from yet, nor have I been able to recreate it as a soft-synth sound. I'm not going to do the track until I can make it all sound as close as possible as the original or it won't cut it for me - or anyone else.

I'll keep searching, but I have to be honest it isn't the biggest priority in my life - as much as I want to do it. But everyone's waited this long just to find out what it is :D so a while longer shouldn't matter.....

jonyintheplace
15th July 2009, 11:01 AM
A big thank you to all of you who have contributed to solve this question, when I first heard the fist clip of it (1:20 secs) a few years ago it instanly drove me mad, even though I'm not into hardcore as I used to be 10 or 5 years ago but this tune deserves all this praise and attention!!

Hope Killerhertz finds the sources and the time to recreate it and press it just like potential badboy did with everyday child in 2006 on sublogic records!

Regards
Jony

8anana
2nd August 2009, 03:24 AM
How's it going with finding the bassline for this tune Chris? Any luck / free time?

OrangeRider put up some Kissfm mixes on the discogs forum and I stumbled upon this in one of them, what a tune, enjoy!

OLD SKOOL LOVERS '80 - '93 / Colin Faver & Colin Dale - KISS 100 FM (http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/86589?page=7)

killerhertz madness.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mnluydt0mqn)

Too bad you didn't release that enforcer ep as a fourtracker with these 2 tunes on it :)

BUNKERHEADZ
2nd August 2009, 02:00 PM
WOW!

phat tuna! :D

Reinforced
17th August 2009, 09:55 PM
any chance to get a decent rip of the first killerhertz tune ?

can't wait

mailrhj
5th November 2009, 10:13 AM
the links dead on that last decent post. Can anyone re-up it?

Skypirate
29th November 2009, 10:47 PM
Great tune, great story! This thread has made for a very interesting read. Well done to everyone involved. :)

Silky
5th December 2009, 11:22 PM
Wow, There is not much else to add on this that hasn't been said before,

This truly is what us Old Skoolers are all about. Fantastic tune there Killerhertz you should be very proud.

Nice to see your putting some time into re-making this beauty, fingers X that it all comes together.

And to everyone else for all their efforts, this is what its all about, lets just hope the Catch is as good as the Chase has been.

Proper Respect!

Silky

:gigolo:

Dylan B
25th March 2010, 08:50 PM
Re-up! x

Killerhertz Demo DAT.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/?jmuyhdynnwn)

BUNKERHEADZ
30th March 2011, 10:08 PM
Nice one Dylan :thumbsup:

synmaster
30th August 2011, 02:18 AM
link is gone again :S

Well, my next suggestion would be to up it to megaupload, as they keep up the files a ridiculously long time (way longer than RS or mediafire, in any case).

oldskooljezz
27th February 2013, 02:37 PM
are there still any rips of this uploaded anywhere??

JAZ
27th February 2013, 02:48 PM
Killerhertz - Demo Dat.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/?z5atp3zuz6nhfij)

Might put it on my FTP later but that's the best full rip available.

oldskooljezz
27th February 2013, 02:51 PM
thanks jaz

killerhertz
5th April 2013, 09:57 AM
Well it's been a while, but I can tell you that the track has now been redone from scratch with nearly all of the original sounds, and is very close to mastering stage. There's a few tweaks to be done here and there, and then I'll be turning it over to someone who is a bit more current to polish the final production.

I'm looking into the possibility of a vinyl release, but only if there is enough demand for it, and I need to work out the flipside, or alternative mixes of the track for good measure.

So overall good news. The track should see the light of day in one format or another fairly soon.

:D

Meltdown
5th April 2013, 08:10 PM
Excellent news killerhertz & thanks for the update. I'm sure theres a lot of people that will be interested in buying this on its release :)

BUNKERHEADZ
5th April 2013, 08:25 PM
For those not on Oggs, heres another thread dedicated to Killerhertz -

http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/184137?page=3

BASECHASER
7th August 2013, 11:09 AM
sounds like an old tune by the Scientist..kind of reminds me of the exorcist on the old kickin label

killerhertz
30th September 2013, 12:13 PM
Tune is remade. Just need the flipside now. Teaser clip at

Killerhertz "Love Byte Unreleased" 1991 CLIP by killerhertz91 on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds (http://soundcloud.com/killerhertz91/killerhertz-love-byte)

esther1982
30th September 2013, 04:30 PM
Wow, excellent and proper remake. Sounds great!

Compliments.:thumbsup:

ADT1974
16th December 2013, 10:18 PM
Nice work Killerhertz - sounding great

Dylan B
25th February 2014, 02:46 PM
Well it's been around 4 or 5 years since I visited this site! (disgraceful I hear you say) but my only excuse is that other priorities seemed to have got in the way as I've got a bit older! I know Killerhertz will back me up on that one! Haha. Apologies for not responding to all the messages I got requesting copies of the Killerhertz mp3 I put up some time ago. Like I said, I haven't visited the site for ages but good to see that some kind soul eventually re-upped the copy to a site where the link is still active.

I've been kinda catching up reading the posts here and on the Oggs site and must say that it's great news that Chris finally remade the track. So where did the mystery bass sound finally came from in the end - the one that repeats throughout the track?!!

I wanted to post on Oggs but needed an invite to the group, so I posted here instead. Have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading the history behind this track and I'll always remember playing it to death on my Walkman after recording it on Kiss! Luckily I got a decent reception and therefore a pretty good recording.

So I have scrolled down to the end of the thread on here and on Oggs and am under the impression that the track will only be be released on vinyl if there is enough demand for it. What's the situation on this now? Has it been mastered yet? I'll happily buy half a dozen copies if that's any incentive to finally push it out into the public domain!!! Like you said on the other thread Chris, a 25th anniversary edition at this rate, but if we have to wait that long, we will... There are still lots of people out there that would like to see this happen and it's never too late! You have after all made one of the most sought after tunes in the history of house music! What ever happened to the Demo DAT tape you sent into Colin Favor all those years ago? It'll be worth a few quid I bet!!

Like I said in a previous post, it's a huge buzz getting your tune played on the radio. I guess most artists usually become tired of hearing their own stuff played over and over again including myself. If anyone is interested, I put out a megamix in 1991 on a white label which was played on the Abstract Dance show by Colin Dale. It's also pretty rare (plug, plug, plug!!) Here is the link:

http://www.discogs.com/Rush-FM-Metamorphosis/release/378968

Unfortunately, whoever posted this on Oggs didn't quite get the track naming correct. The 'A side' of this track was called 'Metamorphosis' and I went under the name of 'Phaze 4' along with the group I was hanging around with at the time. Just a bit of history...

Anyway, back to the Killerhertz track - wishing you the best of luck Chris in whatever you decide to do next! I'm serious when I say I'll take 6 copies, that is if you get any pressings done at all. Twenty-five years on and I still think 'KILLERHERTZ' when I'm down in Tonbridge! ;-)

BUNKERHEADZ
25th February 2014, 05:39 PM
Hi Dylan, whats yer username on Oggs and Ill get ya the OSL invite ;0)

I fixed the entry on Oggs btw, just not sure if the A & B sides are switched ..

http://www.discogs.com/Phaze-4-Metamorphosis/release/378968

Dylan B
26th February 2014, 12:02 PM
Hey, thanks for doing that Bunkerheadz. Almost correct, but you're right... the A and B sides need switching. It should read:

Side A - Metamorphosis
Side B - Micro Rhythm (mix 1); Micro Rhythm (mix 2)

Yes, please invite me into the group on the Oggs site. Only joined yesterday so haven't got much of a profile yet (ha ha!) but have always had a good browse. My user name is Dylan_B. Much appreciated. :cool:

BUNKERHEADZ
27th February 2014, 08:16 PM
Both sorted m8 :thumbsup:

pauly p
28th May 2014, 02:29 PM
I'll have a copy if it's nearing a small release :-)

killerhertz
28th July 2014, 11:39 AM
A downloadable free gift...

https://soundcloud.com/killerhertz91/killerhertz-love-byte-acid-dub-mix

BUNKERHEADZ
29th July 2014, 10:34 AM
Noise! :thumbsup:

ADT1974
5th August 2014, 09:10 PM
Wicked - Nice 1 Killerhertz

tangee
6th April 2016, 10:12 AM
Never got pressed in the end then?

SANDOZ25
6th April 2016, 10:42 AM
Hi m8.. Here is a site Killerhertz has got set up at the moment :

16 Bit Recordings | Techno / Acid / Electronica / Downtempo (http://16bitrecordings.co.uk)

It seems to be still happening, Just a slow processs I guess

tangee
6th April 2016, 11:48 AM
Hi m8.. Here is a site Killerhertz has got set up at the moment :

16 Bit Recordings | Techno / Acid / Electronica / Downtempo (http://16bitrecordings.co.uk)

It seems to be still happening, Just a slow processs I guess

Hello mate, thanks very much for the info, fingers crossed it happens sooner rather than later when we are collecting our pensions:D i'd still buy it even if i was an old timer!!
Thanks again:thumbsup:

ADT1974
12th May 2016, 10:59 PM
Cool - will keep an eye on Killerhertz site, don't want to miss out on a 12" copy of love byte acid dub

ADT1974
9th August 2017, 10:17 PM
Any update on the release of the Love Byte 12" please Killerhertz ?

tangee
9th August 2017, 10:35 PM
Any update on the release of the Love Byte 12" please Killerhertz ?

I keep looking on the website and no change, reckon he's sacked it..Never found any information to suggest otherwise.

killerhertz
19th June 2018, 07:48 PM
Been busy...

killerhertz
2nd July 2018, 07:15 PM
...with some new mixes.

killerhertz
8th November 2018, 06:16 PM
Tidying up a loose end..... for those who haven't followed cogs, vinyl pre-orders are finally here:-

https://www.mpsvinyl.co.uk/collections/pre-orders-all/products/killerhertz-1991-ep-pre-order-12-vinyl-ep

pauly p
14th November 2018, 06:20 PM
Tidying up a loose end..... for those who haven't followed cogs, vinyl pre-orders are finally here:-

https://www.mpsvinyl.co.uk/collections/pre-orders-all/products/killerhertz-1991-ep-pre-order-12-vinyl-ep

Get amongst it :-)

presuminged
19th January 2019, 09:19 PM
Not long now!

Biskit
18th August 2019, 06:16 PM
https://www.discogs.com/Killerhertz-Lovebyte-EP/master/1563727 << released at last

DKJ
19th August 2022, 07:15 PM
For all the loonies like me who travelled through the hall of fame threads, here's the youtube video for a 2022 update:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ZIecA2X6hAQ&feature=emb_title

Aaah... TuneID!

Peace,

DKJ